You’re likely reading this because you want to make the switch to glass kitchen food storage containers from plastic.
This review will tell you why glass is better and give you our Top 5 Picks for the best storage container sets.
You may have looked at glass food storage before and considered it a more expensive option to the 40-piece (or more) sets of BPA-free plastic containers you can get for around $20.00.
I recently made the switch from plastic storage containers in my kitchen to glass and frankly, wonder why I didn’t do it sooner.
Each time I pulled a plastic container from my kitchen cabinet I was faced with the discoloration from sauces, soups or casseroles previously stored, the plastic blistering inside and under the lid from overheating and the general depreciation in function and appearance with each repeated use…and this is with less than a year of ownership.
While plastic food storage containers are fairly inexpensive, coming in a variety of sizes and colors, they are not a good value over time needing replacement and are not environmently friendly taking up valuable landfill space — let’s face it, not everybody recycles.
Here’s why I made the switch….
10 Reasons Glass Kitchen Food Storage Containers Work
- Most glass storage containers are made from oven-proof, freezer-safe and dishwasher-safe tempered glass. You can move stored foods between freezer to stove, oven or microwave and then to refrigerator without the fear of cracked, broken or shattered glass.
- Glass bases are TOP and BOTTOM rack dishwasher safe without the concern for high heat sanitizing settings or abrasive dishwasher detergents.
- Glass in food storage has a zero rate of chemical interaction, is nonporous and impermeable so there is nothing to affect the consistency, aroma or flavor of your stored food. It also aids in minimizing refrigerator odors.
- Clear glass food storage containers make it much easier to see what you’ve stored, especially when using them in a refrigerator or freezer — where things often get pushed to the back and forgotten.
- Food simply tastes better when reheated in glass, whether in a conventional oven or microwave…food does not seem to hold its full flavor when nuked in plastic!
- You can place hot food in a glass food storage container immediately after cooking without having to wait for it to cool down — this means the kitchen dishes get done faster.
- Glass kitchen storage containers, unless they get broken, last just about forever saving you all the money you would otherwise spend replacing stained and blistered plastic containers. While costing a little more up front, they pay big dividends over time.
- If you should break a glass food container by accident, know that up to 80 percent of discarded glass can be recycled. The glass recycling process uses 40 percent less energy than manufacturing new glass AND will provide the same quality, characteristics and performance as new.
- Glass is, overall, a safer bet for food storage than plastic. Though polycarbonate plastic is strong and long-lasting, it can break down over time from high temperatures and overuse.
- Last but not least, using glass is environmentally responsible, reducing the amount of plastic in our landfills. When you invest in glass storage containers, you eliminate the mismatched mess of plastic containers in your kitchen cabinets or pantry with something that looks great, is very versatile in its uses and lasts a really long time.
What to Look for in Glass Containers with Lids
With a number of different brands offering glass storage containers for food, what criteria should you use to make your selection? Here are a few suggestions…
Choose Seamless Tempered Glass
Tempered glass is different than regular glass in that it is 4 to 5 times stronger because the glass has been treated to make it less resistant to breaking during temperature extremes. When tempered glass fractures, it breaks into small pieces without sharp edges reducing the risk of any injury. Tempered glass is a kind of safety glass like that used in your microwave or convention oven doors.
Borosilicate Glass is Best
If available, look for Borosilicate glass listed as a product feature — it is a very crack-resistant glass and is especially resistant to thermal shock in high heat. It is made by replacing the calcium carbonate component of regular glass with boric oxide in the manufacturing process and is not a “treated” glass like tempered glass. Of the two, Borosilicate glass has the superior thermal shock resistance and will perform better when used for food reheating in a microwave or conventional oven.
When storing food you want to ensure you keep air, moisture and pests out of your stored food to prevent bacterial contamination and mold. Choosing sets with locking lids and silicone lid gaskets versus regular lids may offer a slight advantage in keeping food and leftovers safe and fresh longer. Regular lids can often lose their their effective airtight seal and warp with use over time.
Dishwasher Safe Pieces
While glass food storage containers are dishwasher safe, ensure that the lids are as well. You want to minimize your cleanup effort by eliminating the need to hand wash part of your storage set. Most plastic lids in glass container sets are generally top rack dishwasher safe.
Depending on the storage space you have available, finding a set of glass storage containers that either stack or nest will save on cabinet space.
Our Top 5 Picks for Best Glass Storage Containers
In no particular order, here are our top 5 choices for the best value in glass food storage containers for your kitchen.
We’ve reviewed available quantities and sizes, product quality, brand, pricing, material specification and features together with overall customer satisfaction in coming up with our top picks.
GLASSLOCK Blue 18-Piece Glass Storage Containers
At just under $40.00, this 18-piece glass food storage set from GLASSLOCK provides a variety of sizes and is made from silica, soda ash, limestone and other natural components that make it an eco-friendly and recyclable collection.
GLASSLOCK is FDA approved for use in the food industry and is kitchen-friendly in its versatility.
Use this set in the refrigerator, freezer, microwave or oven (see manufacturers recommendations with packaging).
The 18-piece set comes with the glass containers and matching super sealing, air tight latching lids in a choice of blue or turquoise trimmed clear. Pieces included in this set are:
- 1 – 6.3 cup rectangular storage container
- 2 – 3.5 cup rectangular storage containers
- 1 – 1.6 cup square storage container
- 1 – 3.3 cup square storage container
- 1 – 3.1 cup round storage container
- 1 – 1.6 cup round storage container
- 1 – 1.5 cup round storage container
- 1 – 0.7 cup round storage container
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked consumer questions and the most notable features:
- BPA-free polypropylene plastic lock tight lids are included for all containers
- Bases are made from tempered glass to resist breakage during temperature extremes
- GlassLock offers FREE replacement lids that may be ordered through their website
- Top rack dishwasher safe ONLY for lids and bases
- Lids may be used in the microwave, however, should loosely seal the container to allow steam to escape.
- Made and assembled in Korea
- Not safe for freezer to oven — must be at room temperature before oven baking
- Not for use with abrasive cleaners or scouring pads
- Stacked storage only (see image above), should not be nested
- 30 day Warranty only — returns must be in original packaging and do not include return shipping
VonShef 24-Piece Glass Container Food Storage Set
VonShef is a brand of the UK based housewares group Designer Habitat who source innovative, high quality products for the home.
This 24-piece set includes 12 glass bases and 12 blue leakproof gasketed plastic locking lids to keep food fresh longer.
These Borosilicate glass storage containers, have a high temperature variance threshold and are safe for refrigerator and freezer storage as well as microwave and oven reheating.
Pieces included in this set are:
- 3 – 1.5 cup glass kitchen food storage containers
- 3 – 1.7 cup glass kitchen food storage containers
- 2 – 3.0 cup glass kitchen food storage containers
- 2- 3.5 cup food storage containers
- 2- 4.5 cup glass food storage containers
- 12 gasketed, leakproof locking lids
Here are the most notable features that make this set a functional, attractive addition to your kitchen storage:
- Lids are BPA-free polypropylene plastic, with blue silicone gasketing in the lid providing secure, leakproof storage
- The bases are made from crack-resistant, high temperature threshold Borosilicate glass
- The glass bases are oven safe up to 600° F, one of the highest of the sets reviewed here
- Top or bottom rack dishwasher safe glass bases
- The set comes with a 1-YEAR warranty against any defects in manufacturing
- Product must be registered with VonShef within 30 days of purchase to validate warranty.
- Not safe for freezer to oven — must be at room temperature before oven baking
- Lids are recommended hand wash only. Gaskets should be removed when cleaning
- Nesting pieces when storaging rather than stacking is not recommended
- Made in China
Kinetic GoGREEN 16-Piece Glass Food Storage Containers
The Kinetic GOGREEN brand is a division of Pathway, specializing in high quality glass and plastic food storage containers.
The GOGREEN Glassworks collection, 16-piece set consists of 8 tempered glass bases with a 4-tab locking lid system for each base.
The locking lid system includes an airtight, watertight silicone gasket within each BPA-free plastic lid.
Kinetic GOGREEN Glassworks materials are FDA approved for use in the food industry and is kitchen-friendly in its versatility. Use this set in the refrigerator, freezer, microwave or oven per manufacturer’s recommendations.
Pieces included in this 16-piece come in a variety of sizes providing a wide range of opportunities for kitchen food storage. This set has:
- 1 – 1.56 cup glass storage container
- 1 – 1.69 cup glass storage container
- 2 – 1.90 cups glass storage container
- 1 – 3.72 cup glass storage container
- 2 – 4.35 cups glass storage container
- 1 – 6.76 cup glass storage container
- 8 – Silicone gasketed locking BPA-free Lids
The most notable features in this Kinetic GoGreen Glassworks 16-piece set are:
- Tempered glass bases are oven safe to 450° F without lids
- Containers are stain and odor resistant for use in the refrigerator and freezer for storage and the microwave and oven for reheating
- Top or bottom dishwasher safe for tempered glass bases
- Top rack dishwasher safe ONLY for lids
- Containers may be nested or stacked to conserve cabinet space
- The GoGreen collection comes with a 1-YEAR Manufacturers warranty against defects in materials or workmanship
- Made and assembled in Korea
- Silicone seal is not removeable from lid for cleaning
- Lids are not oven safe
- Cannot go from freezer to oven – food must be room temperature before oven reheating
Value Priced Popit! Glass 6+6 Food Storage Set
Lids are BPA-free and the PopIt! food storage set is FDA approved for use in the food industry.
Use this set in the refrigerator, freezer, microwave or oven per manufacturer’s recommendations.
The patented latch system on their silicone gasketed lids have been tested and are guaranteed for 3 million open/close movements without fear of cracking or breaking.
The airtight silicone seal is removable from each lid and washable to keep the lid assembly clean and build-up free.
The 12-piece set comes with the glass containers and matching locking lids in the following sizes:
- 1 – 1.5 cup container
- 1 – 1.7 cup container
- 2 – 3.8 cup containers
- 1 – 4.5 cup container
- 1 – 6.8 cup container
- 6 – Matching super locking, airtight lids
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked consumer questions and the most notable features of this glass kitchen food storage set:
- Lids are airtight BPA-free polypropylene plastic and top rack dishwasher safe
- Bases are made from super durable Borosilicate glass to resist breakage, cracking or chipping during temperature extremes
- Bases are TOP or BOTTOM rack dishwasher safe
- Ideal for heating and defrosting your meals in the microwave (always leaving the lid open)
- Safe for oven temperatures to about 750° F per PopIt! representative
- Containers are all seam-free and prevent food odors when used for refrigerator storage
- Made and assembled in China
- Replacement lids are not available
- Warranty is offered without specified term — PopIt requires you call them for warranty requests
- Best when stack stored — containers do no nest well
Rubbermaid 22-Piece Glass Food Storage Containers
At just under $45.00, this 22-piece glass food storage set from RUBBERMAID makes foods storage easy with their “Easy Find Lids” that actually snap to the base of the glass container so the set is always together.
The lids, in Rubbermaid’s “Rocket Red” color also feature a “One Press Seal” system that keeps you from having to seal the edges of lids, around the container, with your fingers until it snaps shut.
The containers are specially designed to nest together for efficient storage, saving you valuable cabinet space.
The containers are made from a strong tempered glass and the lids are made from a BPA-free plastic so there are no harmful chemicals to leach into your food when storing or heating.
Use this set in the refrigerator, freezer, microwave or oven — not recommended for stovetop use.
The 22-piece set comes with following container sizes:
- 3 – 1.0 cup square storage containers
- 3 – 1.5 cup square storage containers
- 3 – 2.5 cup square storage container
- 1 – 4 cup square storage container
- 1 – 5.5 cup square storage container
- 1 1 matching Rocket Red lids
Some of the more notable features in this Rubbermaid glass food storage set are as follows:
- Rubbermaid Products are made in the USA
- The bases are made from tempered glass to resist breakage during temperature extremes
- Lids have an integrated gasketing system for an airtight seal and easy cleanup
- The lids and bases are BPA-free
- Glass bases are safe for oven temps up to 425° F and are top OR bottom dishwasher safe
- Rubbermaid offers a 1-Year Warranty against manufacturing defects
- No replacement parts by Rubbermaid are offered for this set
- Not suitable for freezer to oven baking – room temp to oven only
- Lids are top rack dishwasher safe and not suitable for oven use
- Leak prevention lid gasket should be separated from lid before cleaning
You might also like:
Tagged with: achor hocking glass containers • airtight glass containers • best glass food containers • best glass storage containers • best kitchen storage containers • food container reviews • food storage containers • glass containers • glass containers with lids • glass food containers • glass food storage • glass food storage containers • glass storage • glass storage containers • glass storage with lids • glasslock containers • kitchen storage containers • large glass containers • nesting glass containers • pyrex glass containers • rubbermaid glass containers • small glass containers • snapware glasslock • stacking glass containers
Filed under: Kitchen Storage