The KitchenAid magnetic drive blender, Model KSB5010SR makes a big departure from the traditional blender design and turns it into something more countertop friendly — resembling the profile of a higher end coffee maker.
Advertised as the “Torrent™ magnetic drive blender”, it peaked our curiousity so we decided to give this Kitchenaid hybrid and in depth look.
This is a pricey small appliance, somewhat comparable in price to the premium Vitamix and Blentec brands, and may appeal to KitchenAid loyalists and smoothie lovers alike.
In this review we will provide all the features and functions as well as share what sets this blender apart from other brands and models.
What is a Magnetic Drive Blender?
Most blenders have a universal motor that controls the speed of the rotating blades. The motor, housed in the blender base, uses magnets to produce a mechanical energy.
Energy is produced when electrical current passes through a wire loop in the magnetic field causing the loop to rotate — this rotating motion, transmitted to the motor shaft, spins the blades.
The problem with this system is that the drive connecting the motor with the blender blades can be prone to leaking as the seal between the blender jar and the blades wears out.
The KitchenAid Torrent KSB5010SR blender replaces the traditional rotary drive system with a magentic drive using magnets within the housing to turn the blades instead of a motor shaft.
This eliminates the need for a coupling and motor shaft where the blade assembly sits on traditional blenders —
- no physical connection with the motor eliminates the potential for future leaks
- blending becomes very efficient and predictable
- this technology adds longer life to the blender (validating a higher price tag)
Kitchenaid Magnetic Drive Blender Features
KitchenAid with this Torrent™ model has taken the inconvenience of height and wobble common in the traditional blender and has replaced it with an innovative undercabinet-friendly design. They’ve not only packaged it with some pretty cool features but have made the most of your countertop space.
Here’s what we like about the KitchenAid Torrent Model KSB5010ST:
- The blender motor has been relocated to the back of the unit in lieu of below it, considerably reducing the overall blender height. This blender measures just 16 inches from top to bottom.
- There is no contact between blender blades and a motor shaft due to its magnetic drive, promoting a longer useful blender life with less risk for leaks. The blades are part of the blending jar and are not removable. It is a single unit that is dishwasher safe.
- It comes with four (4) preset functions for smoothies and icy drinks, soups and sauces, juice and lastly milkshakes. The blending time assigned to each function is a pretty good baseline for your own individual recipes.
- It has a function for variable, adjustable speeds to use in fine tuning your chopping or blending — up to 2 minutes as needed. It also completely and smoothly blends fruit seeds and fiber.
- As in other blenders, there is a top, center ingredient cap for you to add ingredients while blending. The ingredient cap may also be removed when blending hot foods or liquids.
- The BPA-free plastic 60 ounce pitcher with lid fits securely between the base and the upper housing — the same as using a coffee carafe in your coffee maker. The pitcher release lever on the side holds the pitcher in place while blending for a wobble-free fit, then releases it when you are through.
- The peak horsepower output of the motor itself on the KitchenAid Torrent™ is 1.8 HP (the equivalent of an air compressor motor). While the power output in the pitcher is not the same as the horsepower of the motor itself, it still delivers a hearty 1.4 peak HP in the pitcher enabling the Torrent to deliver more then enough power to get the job done.
KitchenAid Magnetic Drive Blender Facts
Just as important as the blender’s features, are the facts associated with ownership. Here are the facts you need to know before making a decision to buy.
- Jar Size: 60 Ounces
- Jar Material: BPA-Free Plastic
- Base Material: Die Cast Metal
- Blender Blades: Stainless Steel
- Overall Dimensions: 16H x 13D x 7.5W
- Blender Weight: 25 pounds
- Voltage: 120V AC Power Only
- Watts: 1,300
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because the blender jar and the blender base contain magnets, they may attract other metallic items placed on the countertop near the blender. Metallic items may also be attracted to the blender base if the blender jar is not in place.
Cleanup is easy because the Torrent™ blender’s pitcher, lid, ingredient cap and funnel can go straight from the countertop to the dishwasher.
This KitchenAid Torrent™ Magnetic Drive blender comes with a full 7-YEAR warranty for the 50 United States. The warranty goes into effect on the date of purchase. It will not cover repairs if the blender is used for commercial use. The warranty does not cover damage from accidents, modifications or misuse.
The buyer, under warranty, is responsible to pay any shipping or handling costs to deliver the blender to an authorized service center.
It is currently available in three (3) colors — Candy Apple Red, Sugar Pearl and Onyx Black.
Included with purchase is the KitchenAid Torrent™ blender base, blender jar, blender jar lid, the ingredient cap, ingredient funnel and the KBS5010SR Use and Care Guide.
Too low to display